The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) hereby wishes to remind the public about the Child Support Grant (CSG) Top – Up.
The grant is meant to assist relatives caring for orphans to provide for their basic needs.
Children will receive their Child Support Grant of R480 including an additional Top Up amount of R240 totaling to R720.
A child who is aged between 16 and 18 is eligible to be a caregiver and receive the Child Support Grant (CSG) Top – Up on behalf of his siblings, children under his or her care.
Relatives are defined as grandparents, brothers, sisters, uncle, aunts, and cousins of the children or anyone who cares for the orphaned children and can also apply for the extended child support grant.
To qualify for the Top Up, applicants must prove that a child is an orphan by providing the following documents:
· Certified copies of death certificates of the child’s parents or where the death certificate of one of the parents cannot be obtained by the applicant, a certified copy of the death certificate of one parent and affidavit by the applicant attesting to the unknown status of the child’s other parent.
· Primary care giver and child must be South African citizens, refugee or permanent resident (citizenship of child not an issue)
· Primary caregiver and child must live in South Africa
· The grant is paid to the primary caregiver and or relative who is 16 or older
· Primary caregiver or spouse that is working must comply in terms of the means test.
· Confirmation of school attendance for children of school going age to be submitted with the application (Not mandatory).
NB: The care giver, relative or spouse application is subjected to the means test.
The income of the caregiver and his or her spouse is considered irrespective whether they are married in or out of community of property and regardless of their relationship to the child.
Caregivers who are eligible can apply for the CSG Top Up grant at any SASSA Local Office or Online at services.sassa.gov.za as of June 2022.
Be the first to comment