It has been the toughest year for all sports across the world due to the pandemic and lockdowns. Major and local sports competitions had to be canceled, including the barring of spectators in stadiums.
Despite all that, many athletes and organizations persisted through it all to continue doing what comes best to them, the love of the game.
On Friday, October 15, the Gauteng Sports, Arts, Culture and Recreation department hosted the nominees announcement for the Gauteng Sports Awards at the Emerald Casino in Sedibeng.
In honour of the residents who showed up between 2020 and 2021, the department is yet again hosting the prestigious Gauteng Sports Awards.
Member of Executive Committee for the department, Mbali Hlophe delivered a short keynote and congratulated everyone who got nominated.
“The pandemic caused us to put a halt to sport for more than a year, and we have had to find unique ways in which to bring back sport to our communities. Sport is such a vital part of our lives and more often than not unites us as communities. So it was really difficult for us to have to cancel the 2020 edition of the Gauteng Sports Awards and gives us immense pleasure to be able to once again honour and reward Gauteng’s best athletes, administrators, coaches and media personalities who have been able to keep us entertained and who have overcome so much in the past 18 months,” she said.
Each of the 19 categories has three finalists, each selected by an independent board of judges from the local sporting community. The Lifetime Achiever Award will be personally selected by the MEC.
A new category, Online Virtual Sport & Recreation Programme Of The Year, was added to recognize those who have adapted their sport and recreational talents to the conditions under the pandemic.
The Sports Personality of the Year Award will be chosen by public votes which opened from Friday, October 15, and will close on November 14 at 12 PM. People can vote by SMS for their favourite star.
Mapepeza Community Newspaper got its third nomination in the Community Media of the Year Award.
In the previous ceremony in 2019, Mapepeza won the award which was received by the founders Stephen Seakgwe and the late Anatola ‘Lolliepop’ Mofoka (pictured above).
Dates for the gala-dinner awards ceremony will be announced at a later time.
Full list of Nominees for 2020/21 Gauteng Sports Awards
- Sportsman Of The Year: Morgan Moss (Karate), Marinda Malajika (Boxing), Temba Bavuma (Cricket)
- Sportswoman Of The Year: Tatjiana Schoenmaker (Aquatics), Tiane De Bod (Karate), Panashe Chirange (Netball)
- Sport Team Of The Year: Tuks Aquatics, Imperial Lions, Kad Volleyball Club
- Disabled Sportswoman Of The Year: Kgothatso Montjane, Simone Kruger, Sheryl James
- Disabled Sportsman Of The Year: Ntando Innocent Mahlangu, Pieter Du Preez, Isaac Asanda Bidla
- Sport Team Of The Year With A Disability: Central Gauteng Lions Blind Cricket, Gauteng Ladies Wheelchair Basketball, Kwa Thema Disability Sport Club
- Coach Of The Year: Rocco Meiring, Ilse Roets, Hendrik Ramaala, Hendriks Petrus
- Technical Official Of The Year: Charmaine Glynis Ho Bella, Mpho Makhobo, Josie Milella
- Administrator Of The Year: Isaac Asanda Bidla, Anton Jordaan, Siyabulela Loyilane
- Most Promising Athletes: Simone Kruger, Kyle Albert Blignaut, Caitlin Rooskrantz
- Online Virtual Sport & Recreation Programme Of The Year: Almero Loius Nelson Mandela Legacy Ride, Dumile Skade Education, Gauteng North Figure Skating
- Sport Fan Of The Year: Simon Tlhatlha, Biishop Md Motona, Bulelwa “Bullie” James
- Sport Personality Of The Year (SMS Vote): Tatjana Schoonmaker, Ntando Inocent Mashalangu, Kgothatso Montjane, Temba Bavumba
- Journalist Of The Year: Mpumi Manyisi, Nandi Buthelezi, Thaakir Dawood
- Amayanga Yanga Athlete Of The Year: Kajol Naidoo, Levi Fick, Kaylen Niemann
- Community Sport And Recreation Programme Of The Year: Hammanskraal Tennis Club, Thandanani Drop Inn Centre, Faith And Hope Foundation
- Federation Of The Year: Gauteng Netball, Central Gauteng Lions Cricket, Aquatics Gauteng
- Community Sports Media Of The Year: Soweto Community TV, Mapepeza Community Newspaper, Thetha FM 100.6