In efforts to keep up with the developments in technology and communication, Lesedi Local Municipality in partnership with Vodacom will be unveiling a citizens engagement application.
This app will, amongst other matters, provide the municipality with a real-time two-way communication engagement platform with Lesedi residents to report and resolve service delivery issues ranging from water to sanitation.
“It will also provide better coordination by tracking issues logged by citizens; action taken on the issues and provide reports on issues logged by the residents, Government, Business, and any affected party,” said Lesedi Municipality’s acting spokesperson Katlego Seaga.
The virtual launch will be led by Lesedi Municipality’s Executive Mayor, Councilor Mluleki Nkosi together with personnel from Vodacom on Thursday, July 1.
Benefits of the new app
The new Citizens Engagement Platform will bring the following possibilities:
- The SmartCitizen Mobile App is designed to bring government to citizens’ fingertips and provide an unimagined level of transparency and accountability.
- The app allows users to search for and view details of various useful contacts such as Municipality heads, Municipality Customer Care, Emergency Services, Call centres, and other Municipality related useful numbers.
- The app will allow the Citizens to search for, filter and view details of various Municipal facilities close to their location.
- The app will allow the Citizens to view and download various useful documents and other rich media types such as images, audio and video.
- The app can be used to view Facebook and other Social Media feeds of the Municipality all from one platform.
- The app allows issues of almost any type to be submitted to the Department; these could also include compliments and information/service requests
- Any issues that discovered by the internal staff can be logged and the relevant business units can be notified. This also includes the issues logged by the general public on the service and/or facilities of the Municipality.
- The app will allow the Municipality to broadcast public or targeted notifications through it.
To report these issues, citizens will have to dial a USSD number if they are using a feature phone or through the app if they are using a smart phone.
Vodacom has created similar applications for various government entities, including the City of Ekurhuleni (My Ekurhuleni app) and the South African Police Service (MySAPS app).