Mzansi COVID-19 cases jump to 97 302, with 53 more deathsOn 22 Jun 2020 by Mapepeza
The country recorded 4 621 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday (June 22), bringing the total number of infections to 97 302.
Meanwhile, there are 53 additional covid-19 related fatalities; of which 27 are from Western Cape, 17 from Eastern Cape, eight are from Gauteng and one from KwaZulu-Natal, bringing the death toll to 1 930.
New infection at all time high
On Saturday, South Africa reached a new daily infections record – with 4 966 cases reported.
According to Health Minister, Dr Zweli Mkhize, the number of recoveries is 51 608, translating to a recovery rate of 53%, while the number mortality rate is 1.98%.
The Western Cape is still the hardest hit province with 51 441 cases, followed by Gauteng with 20 822, Eastern Cape with 15 751 and KwaZulu-Natal with 5 030.
The North West is now sitting at 2 148, Free State 733, Mpumalanga 573, Limpopo 564, Northern Cape 237 and three cases are unknown.
The country conducted 1 328 060 tests since the outbreak of which 34 452 were done in the last 24 hours.
According to the World Health Organisation, there are 8 708 008 cases and 461 715 deaths globally.
You may also like
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
- In Africa, large land acquisitions still lack transparency
- Daily news update: Rain storm causes destruction in KZN, load shedding, Mpho Moerane funeral
- 5 surprise omissions from India's T20I squad vs South Africa
- Health leaders keeping an eye out on monkeypox with presumptive case in South Florida
- World News | Africa's COVID-19 Cases Pass 11.59 Million